Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Old-Fashioned Fun For Girls



My 9-year-old daughter, Peanut, has been keeping busy cutting out and playing with paper dolls.

I was wondering if other girls really like paper dolls anymore, but now a couple of her friends are loving paper dolls too, so I will recommend these links for free printable paper dolls:

Betsy McCall dolls
Making Friends
Modest Dolls This is our favorite, because there are so many clothes.

You can have fun by Googling “printable paper dolls” and find your favorites.

We print the dolls on cardstock, and then the clothes on plain paper. Many of these printables do not have tabs printed on them, so you might need to draw them on before your child starts cutting.

My grandma wrote us a story about playing with her paper dolls in 1910. It must run in the family:

“My first memories are when I was four or around that age. Gertie and I found a lot to play with. We used our imagination in those days. We could make dolls from corn cobs and even sticks. We had stick people, glass people (from broken dishes) and an out-of-date Sears or Ward’s catalog was special. We had families and they went to church. We made towns from flat rocks, the rocks were their houses. We marked rooms. Christmas was the only time we’d see toys in the stores. I remember how thrilled we were to get to go see the toys.”


The catalogs were for cutting out pictures for their paper dolls. I also remember Grandma telling me that when there were no catalogs, they just cut dolls out of whatever paper they could find. My daughter loved hearing about this. She wants me to save some catalogs for her, so that she can try the old-fashioned kind of paper dolls.

*Note: There are books of paperdolls that have punch-out clothes. This might be a good option for younger kids. My daughter is 9, so she has the scissor thing under control. They also make magnetic paperdolls now!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea. I am going to pass you link onto my sister. She has a 4 year old daughter who would love the free online paper dolls. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls will love this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am preparing to print almost as I type this. Daughter is currently wandering around the house looking for something to do. I know this will be just the thing! Great idea, thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the links! I don't have a little girl (my girl is 23, LOL!) but I do babysit an 8-year-old, and I know she'll love these paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago when I took care of 2 little girls they played with paper dolls all the time. They didn't have the fancy store bought ones, they cute all their dolls out of magazines and/or catalogs. I think it was mostly Sears or JC Penny catalogs. They would fill their entire living room floor with their dolls and their cars and their pets and every accessory they could cut out. It was much fun. I think I'll blog on this topic myself - just thinking about it brings back such sweet memories :)

    ReplyDelete