Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Books we have loved...

I haven't updated this blog as far as our homeschooling goes in quite a while. I don't plan to remedy that right now, but some of our favorite books have been on my mind, and I thought I would go ahead and post about some that we have enjoyed.


Homer Price: This book is about a boy who has many different adventures. Each chapter is almost a separate little story to itself, although the characters are consistent through them. Homer is a boy who lives in a small town of yesteryear. It is a funny book, and my 10-year-old son is really enjoying it. As you probably know, written narrations are a part of Charlotte Mason's recommendations, and my son was not doing too great at this. Lately, he writes a summary of each chapter in this book each week, and actually writes a nice, long paragraph. I think there is a sequel to it, and I need to find that book.


The Brendan Voyage: My daughter and I are just finishing this one. I have really enjoyed it, and she hasn't. Still, I would recommend it, but maybe more for boys or adults. This is the true story of building and sailing a medieval boat to see if St. Brendan really could have sailed a similar boat to North America in the 6th century, before the Vikings. We used it as a geography spine, but there is so much more to the book than that. It was really intriguing.

Life of Fred: Fractions: My daughter has mostly liked this approach to math. You can see more about it here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment